Saturday, January 15, 2011

Adventures in Cupcaking!


I don't know if I have ever told you this...but, I want to open a cupcake shop.

I know, I know...its a "fad" but I think I could make it awesome! Not like the lame ones here in Tulsa. Kupcakez? With a k and a z? really?

Well, first I know I need to develop some recipes, I don't just want pretty cupcakes, I want to sell tasty ones.

My first invention....Breakfast cupcakes! Blueberry pancakes, with maple syrup frosting and bacon...yes bacon. I have made two versions, each batch is getting better and better. And I think I am ready to make BF cupcakes v 3.0!

Today, I made real progress!! After two very disappointing batches of not so great cupcakes, I did a little interweb research and found a great strawberry cupcake recipe with strawberry frosting. They turned out great!!!!!

But it wouldn't have been possible if my husband hadn't surprised me with this.....

...isn't she pretty? And she works like a charm. As you can see, Zach really thinks its gRRRReat!
So, I started off the day by making a batch of plain vanilla cupcakes from a cook book. I was NOT impressed. They are a bit dry, grainy, and flavorless...they taste like box mix. I need something better.....I tried adding food coloring to make them "look" tastier, but I don't think it helped

(clicking on the "link" above will only take you to a page with a picture of the cupcakes again...don't know why?)

Then I found the strawberry cupcake recipe and was delighted when I remembered
I had frozen strawberries in the freezer! Woot Woot!!



I follwed the instructions to a T making a bit of a mess as I went. But it wasn't too bad.





When I was done with the batter I could already tell that they were going to be more tasty. I put them in the paper cups, slid them into the 350 degree oven, and crossed my fingers!
When the came out of the oven they looked wonderful! Now, I just had to ice them and eat them!
I made the frosting from the same place I got the recipe, but I changed it up a bit. I thought two sticks of butter was incredibly too french so I opted for cream cheese instead. Besides, I prefer the extra flavor it adds. But the icing came out not quite the consistency I am looking for. So that needs to be modified too.
So, I am going to hit the internet again and search for a cream cheese frosting recipe that I like.

But let me tell you, the frosting was soooooo YUMMIE!! I even frosted the "eh" cupcakes too...they are not so bad with the tasty goo on top!!



Heath passed out helping mommy bake! He was such a good little sous chef!


I have a great business plan too, I have been doing a lot of planning and thinking. I have a name and a basic concept. I don't know if I will ever get to open it, but I know I can make a success out of it! I am not after making some overly decorated ones, I want the to taste good and be interesting.


I would call the shop "91Ate Cupcakes" (and if I see a store called that I know you copied!)
It would have a really cool Tulsa theme! I would also have a very small gifts section, and I also had a really great idea to have "party trays" that you could pick up and you could 'rent' the stand! I really hope that by the summer I can have some solid recipes and maybe I can give this thing a go!!

God, I love being a teacher! Summers off to peruse other dreams!!

I will keep you updated on the different things I try out...and maybe if you are good I will let you try them (especially if you read and comment!!)

Tomorrow I will be doing the BF cupcake. I will post some pics and a report tomorrow evening!!
Happy eating!!
xoxo
Gina

p.s. Zach made some awesome grown up, home made Mac & Cheese tonight! YUMMS!!







1 comment:

Knit-O-Matic said...

I will taste test your cupcakes! I especially want to try your breakfast cupcakes, they sound awesome.

It would be so cool if you opened a cupcake store.

If you are going to have a small gift section in a locally themed store perhaps I can persuade you to carry a line of my stuff. :-)